Each year we receive thousands of donated books, which we in turn resell to the public through our book sales. Your donation is tax-deductible and helps to provide critical support to the Charleston County Public Library.
DIRECTIONS: You can donate books & media at any of the 17 Charleston County Public Library branch locations. Large donations (typically more than 2 boxes, depending on the size of the box) should be dropped off at the Main Library. For the Main Library, drive around behind the Library. You will see stairs and a drop box. Please ring the bell at the door if during normal business hours. If no one answers, you can place books in the drop off bin. For questions, please call 843-805-6882.
We accept the following gently used items:
- Media items including: CDs, DVDs, books on CD, video games, LPs
- Gadget items including: tablets, e-readers, cell phones, navigation systems
We do not accept:
- Moldy, wet, torn or damaged books
- Out-of-date encyclopedias, textbooks, computer books (2009 and older)
- VHS tapes
- Library discards– other than Children’s, Young Adult, & Large Print
- All Books on Tape and Cassettes
- Magazines, newspapers, pamphlets
Why are we selective about free materials?
Donated materials aren’t actually free for us! Even though we have volunteers to assist us, there are many costs associated with accepting books and other materials, from staff time to evaluate and process materials, to allocating space for storage of donated items. A cash gift from you will help defray these costs and further the benefit of your donation for CCPL.